Skip to main content

Filet crochet: pansies (part 2)

Following on from my previous blog post, I've now finished. It really didn't take as long as I expected.

Once I got the structure done - those first chains and the first two rows - then the rest was really about keeping track of where I was! I ended up using a small post-it note to keep my place. That saved me so much counting!


As I crocheted along, I got to a knot in the cotton. Grrr! I'd spent a couple of hours that night already crocheting, and it was near bedtime, so I made a bad decision. I just incorporated the knot into the work. Now I can feel where it is, and it's affected the blocking and tension. So if I were to get into the same situation I'd probably unwind and re-do the work.



It also became clear I did not have enough cotton to quite finish the piece. Luckily I ordered some and it came so quickly I didn't even have to start a interim project! Although I was sad that I had to weave in ends. I found working in the ends a bit more difficult here, because the nature of the pattern meant I couldn't just stitch over the loose ends like I normally would.

By the time I finished the piece it became clear that I had somehow managed to skip a block - starting with a block of 47  and ending with 46. Of course this meant the alternating empty/full blocks at the final end didn't work out right.


Hopefully the mismatch is not really obvious, especially after blocking the work. This is the first time I'm actually bothering to block a piece!


I blocked the work with a spray bottle and pinned out onto my blocking mat. And after a day of drying I now have my first piece of filet crochet finished. I've got a picture of with a ruler: It's worked out about 20 inches across - much bigger than I imagined - but it was the largest thread I could get!





Summary
Yarn:
DMC Petra Crochet Cotton (Size 3)
Hook:
2.0mm
Lessons learned:
Use a marker to roughly keep track of progress, rewind the cotton before starting
TV watched:
Ascension 💕, Witches of East End 😐

Popular posts from this blog

Ness skirt

When lockdown 1.0 started I bought a load of fabric from different retailers. And I also bought a Ness kit from Wild Orchard Fabrics . The kit came with everything needed to make a Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, including:  Denim fabric Extra fabric for pocket bags Interfacing Denim-style button Rivets Zip for fly Thread for top-stitching Elastic Pattern from Tilly and the Buttons Plus a cute canvas bag to store the project The complete kit Over lockdown 1.0 I made a few creative projects. But the realities of working from home meant I had to channel my spare time into converting my sewing space into a work space, with the complication of making two tables: one to act as my desk and one for my sewing machines.  But, working from home is also the ideal time to wear a denim skirt. So I’m glad I’ve managed to tick this off my list at last. There’s two views to the Ness, one is below the knee with a front split and the other is a mini-skirt version. Both have a back yoke and side pocke

Tablet cover

I just love this particular yarn, Lily Sugar n' Cream (potpourri) . It makes such a gorgeous looking fabric.  I especially like the way it looks when worked into a tight looking ribbed fabric. I had a couple of balls that were just a little over 50g each. So I made myself tablet cover! It's basically just a rectangle of double crochet (or single crochet in the US), but the stitches are hooked through the back loop only of the row below. That gives the ribbed effect and makes the fabric a little stretchy. The label with the yarn recommends a 5.0mm needle, so I used that. I think it came out quite tight though. I liked the effect so I carried on. Pattern Main sleeve : Create a foundation chain to match the length of your tablet. Then add three extra chain stitches which will give you the turning chain and some slack for joining the work together. Work a row of double crochet (or single crochet) into the chain. For the next row do a single turning chain

Lunchtime projects

I've done a couple of lunchtime projects recently. The first was to do another pug from the pattern - just to test that I'd written it all down correctly. I think it's fine. I ended up making a couple of changes: a slightly shorter tail, and a sticking out tongue. Using white yarn this time, as I'd pretty much used up the last of the beige yarn.  Here's the start of the pug - with the square base completed. I ended up doing the face as I went along - just so I could get it all in place prior to stuffing it! Here's the ear-less (and tail-less) pug. But with a cheeky tongue this time! And finally here's the completed pug! I think he came out fine! I also popped together a coaster from a simple pattern by La Vie en Rose . It's basically just a circle. But it looks pretty and uses up some of my desk stash! (Also it matches the Lego brick - since it's from the same ball. So it looks like I'm doing this on purpose!)