Skip to main content

Lego brick tissue box cover



There's a really nice looking tissue box cover on Ravelry, it's modeled on a Lego brick. And the pattern is free!

I've switched to cheap Tesco Value tissues for my desk at work. Hiding the box with a quirky crochet project seems like a great idea. And looking at the pattern there's not too much sewing to do (well until I get to the bumps of the brick). 

It's also a good project as I'll need a clean desk in order to show it off once it's finished. Right now my desk is not really ship shape. 

The pattern is basically just chaining and doing double crochet (UK) /  single crochet (US) until the work covers half of the top. then you can use some chains to make a gap big enough for the tissues. Carry on as before. Once it covers the top the pattern suggests working around the rectangle in half-trebles (UK) / half-doubles (US). I think I'm going to stick to one stitch throughout. Although I am pondering whether I should work in the back loops only on the first perimeter round, just to ensure I get an definite "fold" in the brick. 

Lunch break 1: 

Lunch break 2

Another lunch break and I have enough to cover the top of the box, so it's time to progress to crocheting around the whole piece.


I've decided that I will work into the back loops only for this piece. At least on the long sides where it's possible. That should create a definite ridge which will help the crochet fold.

Another couple of lunch breaks and I've got enough done to see that it will fit! Phew.

Sadly I got myself a bit muddled at some point. I'd been working the rounds all in the same direction: but I must have switched direction twice - as there's a band with a different texture around the brick. 

The studs for the top of the brick are really quick to work. I followed the biggest size given in the pattern (so 4 rounds of stitches). I'm glad I popped a ridge on the brick itself as the pattern calls for a ridge on the studs.



And finished at lunchtime today! I still haven't tidied my desk - so here it is on another desk!


My mother has already put in her order for 3 tissue box covers!

Summary
Yarn:
Grundl Lisa Premium (2 50g balls)
Hook:
3.5mm
Lesson learned:
Pay attention to counting the chains when creating the gap. 
TV watched:
Nothing 😶 It's a lunch-break project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ness skirt

When lockdown 1.0 started I bought a load of fabric from different retailers. And I also bought a Ness kit from Wild Orchard Fabrics . The kit came with everything needed to make a Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, including:  Denim fabric Extra fabric for pocket bags Interfacing Denim-style button Rivets Zip for fly Thread for top-stitching Elastic Pattern from Tilly and the Buttons Plus a cute canvas bag to store the project The complete kit Over lockdown 1.0 I made a few creative projects. But the realities of working from home meant I had to channel my spare time into converting my sewing space into a work space, with the complication of making two tables: one to act as my desk and one for my sewing machines.  But, working from home is also the ideal time to wear a denim skirt. So I’m glad I’ve managed to tick this off my list at last. There’s two views to the Ness, one is below the knee with a front split and the other is a mini-skirt version. Both have a back yoke and side pocke

Tablet cover

I just love this particular yarn, Lily Sugar n' Cream (potpourri) . It makes such a gorgeous looking fabric.  I especially like the way it looks when worked into a tight looking ribbed fabric. I had a couple of balls that were just a little over 50g each. So I made myself tablet cover! It's basically just a rectangle of double crochet (or single crochet in the US), but the stitches are hooked through the back loop only of the row below. That gives the ribbed effect and makes the fabric a little stretchy. The label with the yarn recommends a 5.0mm needle, so I used that. I think it came out quite tight though. I liked the effect so I carried on. Pattern Main sleeve : Create a foundation chain to match the length of your tablet. Then add three extra chain stitches which will give you the turning chain and some slack for joining the work together. Work a row of double crochet (or single crochet) into the chain. For the next row do a single turning chain

Lunchtime projects

I've done a couple of lunchtime projects recently. The first was to do another pug from the pattern - just to test that I'd written it all down correctly. I think it's fine. I ended up making a couple of changes: a slightly shorter tail, and a sticking out tongue. Using white yarn this time, as I'd pretty much used up the last of the beige yarn.  Here's the start of the pug - with the square base completed. I ended up doing the face as I went along - just so I could get it all in place prior to stuffing it! Here's the ear-less (and tail-less) pug. But with a cheeky tongue this time! And finally here's the completed pug! I think he came out fine! I also popped together a coaster from a simple pattern by La Vie en Rose . It's basically just a circle. But it looks pretty and uses up some of my desk stash! (Also it matches the Lego brick - since it's from the same ball. So it looks like I'm doing this on purpose!)