Skip to main content

Filet crochet: pansies (part 3)

Following on from my earlier blog posts about filet crochet I've done the same piece of work in a smaller thread (size 10) this time. There's a comparison of the hooks and threads so you can see how the compare in size. Although in my hands it feels like a much bigger jump than it looks!




Luckily I made fewer mistakes on this! I actually like how this has turned out too. It's not as small as I expected: partly because the hook wasn't that much smaller I think. I like the "aspect ratio" better in this one too: more like the original chart.

I have tons of cotton on the reel left over this time. Plenty more for some small filet coasters or something.


I think that the blocking process also makes the resulting fabric feel a bit nicer. It's more noticeable on the thicker cotton, but still there on the smaller thread size too.

The next filet crochet project will be an even smaller pansy piece! Although the 0.75mm hook is so difficult to handle - so I may have a break and do something with a larger hook size for a bit.

Summary
Yarn:
DMC Babylo Crochet Cotton (Size 10)
Hook:
1.5mm
Lessons learned:
Filet crochet requires being tight with the thread, but I've started being too tense with my other crochet projects! 
TV watched:
Van Helsing 👏

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I'm Amanda, and welcome to my brand new blog! I like crocheting. In my imagination I crochet clothes and useful things. But often I end up messing them up, or getting bored before sewing them together. I'm not bad at crocheting small toys, especially if they're from the free kits that come with crocheting magazines! I'm going to try to get better and crochet lots of different things with different techniques. As I'm writing this I have a few different projects on the go: Filet crochet pansies Lego brick tissue cover  Broomstick lace wrap I've just finished a "desk dinosuar" too. He's the second of a set of three. And this is the second time I've done a set! Here's the original set I did from a kit. Now I'm using left over yarn to do the second set.  So hopefully this will be a fun blog, and hopefully it will encourage me to challenge myself a bit :)

Start at the top

I had a small bit of the lovely Cherry picking fabric left from the blouse I made. I was hoping to make a simple top, something a bit less complicated than buttons and zips. And obviously without using too much fabric! I found the  Start at the top pattern, which looked like it would work. There are some issues with the pattern though. Part of the sleeve does not line up with the rest of the sleeve (and I'm sure it's not me, since the guiding lines are spot on) and the notch marks are misplaced on this piece. I made a guess at how they should be placed... From there cutting was easy enough. But once I came to start pinning the pieces together I discovered a second problem with the pattern. The instructions mentioned sewing the sides together until reaching the dot. I couldn't fathom what was meant by dot. Turns out reading through the entire pattern revealed that there's supposed to be a small slit at each side. So I eyeballed a decent length for this, I think 10cm wor

Coo-ya the chicken

So my second pattern is again for a colleague. She calls everyone "chick" or "chicken" - so she gets a chicken! I've made it as a tetrahedron, which is relatively easy to crochet! Here are some of the "in progress" pictures: you can click them to see them in more detail. And here's the link to a PDF: Coo-ya crochet pattern.  At the moment I've on;y done this pattern with UK terminology - but do let me know if you'd like it converted to US.