I kinda like kit: everything I need is in one place, so here’s no thinking about anything. I also like presents in the mail! So in April I ordered the G&G sewing society as an experiment.
To me this kit is quite an intimidating make. I’m still not 100% on zips, and I’ve never done snap fasteners before.
I ordered the version in ‘sky’ colour. It was the only one left in my size: but that was lucky as I wanted that colour anyway! It came quite quickly, yay! But I was still working at that point, so it had to wait until the weekends.
The kit included:
- Printed Closet Case Kelly Anorak sewing pattern
- Cotton twill fabric
- Matching thread
- 15 Prym anorak snaps & tool
- 26" YKK open ended zip
- Liberty lawn
- Woven fusible interfacing
- Prym machine needles
- Sew-in label - "Made by me with g&g'
I’m always a bit between sizes, and so I wanted to make sure I was sizing right. So I traced the pattern pieces for the main body onto Swedish tracing paper and tried them on. Based on that I went up a size :(
I traced all the pieces onto Swedish tracing paper before cutting out the fabric. I have been losing a little weight, so I’d like to be able to use the pattern in a different size in the future.
There are a lot of pieces in this pattern. I chose to do the variation with a hood, because that lovely Liberty fabric was included in the kit for the hood lining.
When I came to sew up, I was really careful. I also did a lot of unpicking. Honestly, that seems to be a feature of all of my sewing projects. I just hope I’m learning from my mistakes! I did so much unpicking that I used the thread from this kit, another reel of the same thread (that I just happened to have, magically) and some of a slightly different colour thread too. Yikes!
When I attached the yoke I drew my sewing line in with a chalk pencil, since the fabric was hiding the washi-tape guidelines on my sewing machine. I ended up redoing the yoke a few times, as I was having a comprehension failure. I swear I followed the instructions.
I was impressed by how the pockets came together. Carefully following the instructions worked really well. And I was super impressed with them. I can see a lot of people on pinterest/instagram hack the pockets though, and when I do this pattern again, I’ll definitely do that. The placement is fine, it’s just the pockets have a mock-closure, and I don’t see an issue with making it a real closing. It would keep my mobile phone from falling out!
Here’s some examples of people who have done the pockets differently:
- Beth at 110 creations, and I love reading her review of the pattern.
- Megan Francine who has made the pockets look the same, but function much better.
- Michelle at Sewjourners who has made more pockets!
This was my first time fixing any fasteners. So I did lots of practice. And I still had problems. One of the fasteners on the pocket pulled right through after using it a couple of times. I had to go back and add some fabric reinforcement to the pocket. So I’d really recommend doing that before popping the pockets on the jacket.
Here’s the finished jacket.
|Pattern:||Closet Case's Kelly Anorak|
|Lesson learned:||Lots about working with the kind of hardware that needs hammering in!|
|Audio book:||Fifth Season - N K Jemisin|