Skip to main content

New Look 6407 and Sew Hayley Jane

Sorry I've been quiet! Just as I was resurrecting the blog too. I ended up interviewing for and getting a temporary job. I've also been making masks for friends and family.

Here's an in-progress pic of a mask. I've made these so the wearer can thread through elastic and trim it to fit them nicely. When I'm making a mask for myself I can skip a few of the steps!



So I don't have quite as much time, but I am still sewing clothes as well as masks. Although the latest item comes with a matching mask!

I've done a view of New Look 6407 before (view A: long sleeved, straight collar). It wasn't great - despite the 'easy' rating from New Look! The collar was a struggle - and is too pointy in a very seventies style! I've completely messed up the sleeve cuffs too. So in the latest attempt I tried to get rid of these issues by going for View E, with a mandarin collar and short sleeves.
I always struggle with the size: I tend to fall on three different sizes, depending on whether I measure bust, waist or hips. This time I kept it simple and just cut my largest size (the waist). I should have perhaps graded this, since my bust is two sizes smaller than my waist - but the pattern pieces made this a little more difficult since the two sizes I needed were on completely different bits of paper!


 
I used my fabric from the June 2020 SewHayleyJane box, it's 100% cotton, and called Cherry Picking. It looks great! It's much better fabric than I'd buy myself. I'm still too worried about making mistakes so I tend to buy cheap fabrics.



I'm OK on doing the seams along the shoulders and the side seams. But the next stage was the collar. And even though it's a much simpler collar than normal, I still had to do it twice. 

I ended up not following the instructions, and looking up various explanations on Google, and then just winging it! So I 
  • attached the front facing before doing the collar, 
  • pinned the interfaced collar piece along the neck and marked where the front came to on each side,
  • unpinned, 
  • sewed the two collar pieces along their top seam: to the marks,
  • graded the seam and notched the curves,
  • ironed a seam on both collar pieces,
  • sewed the collar on with a just about an eighth of an inch from the folded bottom of the collar. 


Also, I didn't forget to make sure I popped in my custom labels. Because I'm vain!

The sleeves went in easily! At least that part was much simpler in View E. A fair chunk of hemming followed, then the exciting part was picking buttons!


I regret doing the button holes with the same black thread I used for everything else. It just looks a bit dark when it's so thick! But that one problem aside I think this top came out really well. 


And the bonus is there was plenty of fabric to make a couple of matching masks, and probably still get another top out of this. 


Summary
Pattern:New Look 6407
Fabric:100% Cotton, cherry picking
Lesson learned:Redoing a collar will be best for all involved
Audio book:Chapter House: Dune - Frank Herbert ☹️











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I'm Amanda, and welcome to my brand new blog! I like crocheting. In my imagination I crochet clothes and useful things. But often I end up messing them up, or getting bored before sewing them together. I'm not bad at crocheting small toys, especially if they're from the free kits that come with crocheting magazines! I'm going to try to get better and crochet lots of different things with different techniques. As I'm writing this I have a few different projects on the go: Filet crochet pansies Lego brick tissue cover  Broomstick lace wrap I've just finished a "desk dinosuar" too. He's the second of a set of three. And this is the second time I've done a set! Here's the original set I did from a kit. Now I'm using left over yarn to do the second set.  So hopefully this will be a fun blog, and hopefully it will encourage me to challenge myself a bit :)

Start at the top

I had a small bit of the lovely Cherry picking fabric left from the blouse I made. I was hoping to make a simple top, something a bit less complicated than buttons and zips. And obviously without using too much fabric! I found the  Start at the top pattern, which looked like it would work. There are some issues with the pattern though. Part of the sleeve does not line up with the rest of the sleeve (and I'm sure it's not me, since the guiding lines are spot on) and the notch marks are misplaced on this piece. I made a guess at how they should be placed... From there cutting was easy enough. But once I came to start pinning the pieces together I discovered a second problem with the pattern. The instructions mentioned sewing the sides together until reaching the dot. I couldn't fathom what was meant by dot. Turns out reading through the entire pattern revealed that there's supposed to be a small slit at each side. So I eyeballed a decent length for this, I think 10cm wor

Coo-ya the chicken

So my second pattern is again for a colleague. She calls everyone "chick" or "chicken" - so she gets a chicken! I've made it as a tetrahedron, which is relatively easy to crochet! Here are some of the "in progress" pictures: you can click them to see them in more detail. And here's the link to a PDF: Coo-ya crochet pattern.  At the moment I've on;y done this pattern with UK terminology - but do let me know if you'd like it converted to US.