Skip to main content

Start at the top



I had a small bit of the lovely Cherry picking fabric left from the blouse I made. I was hoping to make a simple top, something a bit less complicated than buttons and zips. And obviously without using too much fabric! I found the Start at the top pattern, which looked like it would work.


There are some issues with the pattern though. Part of the sleeve does not line up with the rest of the sleeve (and I'm sure it's not me, since the guiding lines are spot on) and the notch marks are misplaced on this piece. I made a guess at how they should be placed...


From there cutting was easy enough. But once I came to start pinning the pieces together I discovered a second problem with the pattern. The instructions mentioned sewing the sides together until reaching the dot. I couldn't fathom what was meant by dot. Turns out reading through the entire pattern revealed that there's supposed to be a small slit at each side. So I eyeballed a decent length for this, I think 10cm works. 

Then I overlocked all the edges. And then it was back to trying to follow the pattern! This time it went much more smoothly! 

There's two more things worth noting. The first is that threading the elastic through the neckline's casing is a bit fraught, my seams kept blocking the safety pin, and I needed to do some frustrating wiggling to get through the whole piece. I'd recommend either sewing down the edges of the seam before making the casing, or laying down some wool as a guide while making the casing. 

 

Pretty much the rest was straight forward. Indeed my next make was the same top, from a different material. This time I didn't read the instructions, I just did it all in the order it occurred to me, but it worked fine! 

For the second top I laid down wool as sewed the neck/elastic casing. It wasn't quite as stress free as I hoped, but still miles better! The other thing I did was leave the hole for passing elastic through at the place where a label would go. And then inserted my own vanity label in there once the elastic was threaded 





The top is nice and simple to whip up: it's really quick to make in gaps before/after work while working from home. Also nice is that it can be worn off-the-shoulder or as a normal neckline. 






Summary
Pattern:Start at the top - simple blouse
Fabric:100% Cotton, cherry picking plus Gold dash double gauze
Lesson learned:You get what you pay for!
Audio book:Leviathan Wakes -  James S A Corey ❤️


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ness skirt

When lockdown 1.0 started I bought a load of fabric from different retailers. And I also bought a Ness kit from Wild Orchard Fabrics . The kit came with everything needed to make a Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, including:  Denim fabric Extra fabric for pocket bags Interfacing Denim-style button Rivets Zip for fly Thread for top-stitching Elastic Pattern from Tilly and the Buttons Plus a cute canvas bag to store the project The complete kit Over lockdown 1.0 I made a few creative projects. But the realities of working from home meant I had to channel my spare time into converting my sewing space into a work space, with the complication of making two tables: one to act as my desk and one for my sewing machines.  But, working from home is also the ideal time to wear a denim skirt. So I’m glad I’ve managed to tick this off my list at last. There’s two views to the Ness, one is below the knee with a front split and the other is a mini-skirt version. Both have a back yoke and side pocke

Tablet cover

I just love this particular yarn, Lily Sugar n' Cream (potpourri) . It makes such a gorgeous looking fabric.  I especially like the way it looks when worked into a tight looking ribbed fabric. I had a couple of balls that were just a little over 50g each. So I made myself tablet cover! It's basically just a rectangle of double crochet (or single crochet in the US), but the stitches are hooked through the back loop only of the row below. That gives the ribbed effect and makes the fabric a little stretchy. The label with the yarn recommends a 5.0mm needle, so I used that. I think it came out quite tight though. I liked the effect so I carried on. Pattern Main sleeve : Create a foundation chain to match the length of your tablet. Then add three extra chain stitches which will give you the turning chain and some slack for joining the work together. Work a row of double crochet (or single crochet) into the chain. For the next row do a single turning chain

Lunchtime projects

I've done a couple of lunchtime projects recently. The first was to do another pug from the pattern - just to test that I'd written it all down correctly. I think it's fine. I ended up making a couple of changes: a slightly shorter tail, and a sticking out tongue. Using white yarn this time, as I'd pretty much used up the last of the beige yarn.  Here's the start of the pug - with the square base completed. I ended up doing the face as I went along - just so I could get it all in place prior to stuffing it! Here's the ear-less (and tail-less) pug. But with a cheeky tongue this time! And finally here's the completed pug! I think he came out fine! I also popped together a coaster from a simple pattern by La Vie en Rose . It's basically just a circle. But it looks pretty and uses up some of my desk stash! (Also it matches the Lego brick - since it's from the same ball. So it looks like I'm doing this on purpose!)