Skip to main content

Bag from a free pattern on Ravelry

I love the idea of doing a crochet bag, but I always worry about the handles/straps. Mostly patterns seem to require bought handles that need attachment, or the handles are much thinner than I think they need to be on my own bags.

But this free slouchy hobo-style bag pattern on Ravelry seems to have a solid enough strap that I won't care. Perfect for some balls I've had in my stash for a while.

The only issue I have is that my balls are in 3 different colours: so I had to create some sort of pattern to the colours. I thought working each colour for roughly two rounds will work out about right: and it gives me an opportunity to practice carrying the colour yarns along, so I don't have to keep weaving in ends. Also it has the still look a bit random.

I did have some problems reading the pattern: because it's in US English. Obviously when I read SC, I'll do a double crochet, but I kept on doing double crochets when the pattern switched to DC. Perhaps I should have written it out again!

One evening and I'd done 10 rows. I could have done more, but I had to undo most of my work as I'd done the wrong stitches! I think at this point most of the base is done, as the last of the dark blue rows was in the back loops only, creating a nice ridge where I'm guessing the bag is meant to fold.
I've ended up not following the pattern too closely. But it was written rather roughly. The only time that got me into trouble was when I managed to make the strap narrower than I'd intended. I ended up undoing a fair chunk of work.
There's some really nice detailing on parts of the pattern: the front post treble makes a lovely ridged effect. You can see how it works in because of the different colours in this pattern. This happens to be the inside of the bag, which works out very well for me!
A bit of detailing from the pattern.


And here's the finished bag. I've run a row of SC around the edges, to hide where I've run the yarn along.  I'm hoping that by keeping the three yarns intact that I can undo the work and produce something else if ever I get bored with the bag!

Summary
Yarn:Sugar n' Cream: solids
Hook:5.5mm
Lesson learned:Pay attention!
TV watched:Dramaworld 😍, Witches of East End 😐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ness skirt

When lockdown 1.0 started I bought a load of fabric from different retailers. And I also bought a Ness kit from Wild Orchard Fabrics . The kit came with everything needed to make a Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, including:  Denim fabric Extra fabric for pocket bags Interfacing Denim-style button Rivets Zip for fly Thread for top-stitching Elastic Pattern from Tilly and the Buttons Plus a cute canvas bag to store the project The complete kit Over lockdown 1.0 I made a few creative projects. But the realities of working from home meant I had to channel my spare time into converting my sewing space into a work space, with the complication of making two tables: one to act as my desk and one for my sewing machines.  But, working from home is also the ideal time to wear a denim skirt. So I’m glad I’ve managed to tick this off my list at last. There’s two views to the Ness, one is below the knee with a front split and the other is a mini-skirt version. Both have a back yoke and side pocke

Tablet cover

I just love this particular yarn, Lily Sugar n' Cream (potpourri) . It makes such a gorgeous looking fabric.  I especially like the way it looks when worked into a tight looking ribbed fabric. I had a couple of balls that were just a little over 50g each. So I made myself tablet cover! It's basically just a rectangle of double crochet (or single crochet in the US), but the stitches are hooked through the back loop only of the row below. That gives the ribbed effect and makes the fabric a little stretchy. The label with the yarn recommends a 5.0mm needle, so I used that. I think it came out quite tight though. I liked the effect so I carried on. Pattern Main sleeve : Create a foundation chain to match the length of your tablet. Then add three extra chain stitches which will give you the turning chain and some slack for joining the work together. Work a row of double crochet (or single crochet) into the chain. For the next row do a single turning chain

Lunchtime projects

I've done a couple of lunchtime projects recently. The first was to do another pug from the pattern - just to test that I'd written it all down correctly. I think it's fine. I ended up making a couple of changes: a slightly shorter tail, and a sticking out tongue. Using white yarn this time, as I'd pretty much used up the last of the beige yarn.  Here's the start of the pug - with the square base completed. I ended up doing the face as I went along - just so I could get it all in place prior to stuffing it! Here's the ear-less (and tail-less) pug. But with a cheeky tongue this time! And finally here's the completed pug! I think he came out fine! I also popped together a coaster from a simple pattern by La Vie en Rose . It's basically just a circle. But it looks pretty and uses up some of my desk stash! (Also it matches the Lego brick - since it's from the same ball. So it looks like I'm doing this on purpose!)