Skip to main content

Ness skirt

When lockdown 1.0 started I bought a load of fabric from different retailers. And I also bought a Ness kit from Wild Orchard Fabrics. The kit came with everything needed to make a Tilly and the Buttons Ness skirt, including: 

  • Denim fabric
  • Extra fabric for pocket bags
  • Interfacing
  • Denim-style button
  • Rivets
  • Zip for fly
  • Thread for top-stitching
  • Elastic
  • Pattern from Tilly and the Buttons
  • Plus a cute canvas bag to store the project
The complete kit

Over lockdown 1.0 I made a few creative projects. But the realities of working from home meant I had to channel my spare time into converting my sewing space into a work space, with the complication of making two tables: one to act as my desk and one for my sewing machines. 


But, working from home is also the ideal time to wear a denim skirt. So I’m glad I’ve managed to tick this off my list at last.

There’s two views to the Ness, one is below the knee with a front split and the other is a mini-skirt version. Both have a back yoke and side pockets, and there’s the option to add back pockets too. I’m not sure I’d wear a skirt with a front split, so I decided to do the mini version. I wasn’t keen on how short the Ness looked on the models, but hoped that the fact I’m short would balance that out. Spoiler: it’s the perfect length for me.

Cutting out the pieces was normal. It’s nice to work with a heavier fabric that’s not slippery and has a clear grain! The trickiest bit by far was the fly. But TATB have a great video on how to install the zip.

 

All the cutting finished!

I actually cheated and skipped some of the top stitching, the belt loops and doing the rivets. I feel like I got the hang of that when I did the Ginger Jeans. Plus I want to use both this and the Ginger pattern for some different fabrics for some smarter clothes suitable for working in an office - just in case!

Sewing the yoke and grading the seams


One thing I didn't think about until after it was too late was doing a custom design on one of the back pockets. What's the point of making your own clothes if you can't add a little quirk to them? There's some great ideas online. I guess I could also hand embroider a design before stitching on the pockets, or even just use a sew-on patch. 

The back of the skirt, with boring, uncustomised, pockets.

After the fly I started just doing my own thing, rather than following the pattern. Partly that’s because I’m atrocious at stitch-in-the-ditch. So instead I hand-sewed the inside of the waist band. I’m actually really happy with the way that’s worked out. Of course I popped in a vanity label while I was there!

Hand sewing the waistband

I left the best step to last. Out to the garage to hammer on the button! I do love it when making clothes involves hammering. 

Button and zip, and top-stitching around the fly

I’m really happy with the fit of this. Between this and the Ginger pattern I feel like I’ve got a couple of good options for “bottoms” that can be casual in denim and hopefully made more formal with a fabric like twill - other suggestions welcome. 

Finished skirt!





 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I'm Amanda, and welcome to my brand new blog! I like crocheting. In my imagination I crochet clothes and useful things. But often I end up messing them up, or getting bored before sewing them together. I'm not bad at crocheting small toys, especially if they're from the free kits that come with crocheting magazines! I'm going to try to get better and crochet lots of different things with different techniques. As I'm writing this I have a few different projects on the go: Filet crochet pansies Lego brick tissue cover  Broomstick lace wrap I've just finished a "desk dinosuar" too. He's the second of a set of three. And this is the second time I've done a set! Here's the original set I did from a kit. Now I'm using left over yarn to do the second set.  So hopefully this will be a fun blog, and hopefully it will encourage me to challenge myself a bit :)

Start at the top

I had a small bit of the lovely Cherry picking fabric left from the blouse I made. I was hoping to make a simple top, something a bit less complicated than buttons and zips. And obviously without using too much fabric! I found the  Start at the top pattern, which looked like it would work. There are some issues with the pattern though. Part of the sleeve does not line up with the rest of the sleeve (and I'm sure it's not me, since the guiding lines are spot on) and the notch marks are misplaced on this piece. I made a guess at how they should be placed... From there cutting was easy enough. But once I came to start pinning the pieces together I discovered a second problem with the pattern. The instructions mentioned sewing the sides together until reaching the dot. I couldn't fathom what was meant by dot. Turns out reading through the entire pattern revealed that there's supposed to be a small slit at each side. So I eyeballed a decent length for this, I think 10cm wor

Coo-ya the chicken

So my second pattern is again for a colleague. She calls everyone "chick" or "chicken" - so she gets a chicken! I've made it as a tetrahedron, which is relatively easy to crochet! Here are some of the "in progress" pictures: you can click them to see them in more detail. And here's the link to a PDF: Coo-ya crochet pattern.  At the moment I've on;y done this pattern with UK terminology - but do let me know if you'd like it converted to US.